To render your accident recovery as efficient and as effective as possible, you need compensation. A personal injury lawsuit might help you recover what you need, but it’s going to be a fight to recover what you deserve. Although you might think this battle will play out in court, in many cases the contentiousness comes to light during settlement negotiations.
How to get the most out of your car accident settlement talks
Most car accident personal injury cases resolve through settlement. You just have to make sure you get what you need and what you’re owed during your settlement process.
But how do you do that? Here are some tips for maximizing your settlement:
- Follow your doctor’s recommendations for follow up care so that you can adequately demonstrate the care you received, your need for ongoing treatment, and your prognosis.
- Keep a journal that details how your accident injuries have negatively impacted your daily living.
- Develop a tracking system for all invoices and receipts tied to your accident recovery.
- Analyze your case for any weaknesses that the defense can exploit, that way you can craft ways to effectively counter them.
- Avoid social media so that you don’t make any posts that wind up being used against you.
- Preserve evidence so that you have a strong argument going into your settlement talks.
Know how to advocate for what you deserve
Although settlement negotiations may not seem as tense as courtroom litigation, you still need to be prepared to advocate for yourself. To successfully do so, you need to know the law and how it applies to the facts of your case.