It's your hope that every truck driver takes their job seriously. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, as there will always be truckers who break the law or push the limit in regard to their approach to the road.
Here are several truck driver mistakes that can cause an accident:
- Inadequate training: The trucking company is just as much to blame as the driver in this case. Every trucker should receive training regarding defensive driving, safety and technique.
- Drowsy driving: There are laws in place to govern how many hours truck drivers can drive consecutively. Even so, some people will break the law in order to make better time.
- Distracted driving: Every driver has the potential to become distracted, such as by a cellphone, eating or drinking or paying attention to something in the cabin as opposed to the roadway.
- Reckless driving: This includes things such as excessive speeding, illegal passing and failure to use turn signals.
- Driving under the influence: Alcohol, drugs and prescription medication can also impact a trucker's ability to safely operate their vehicle.
Since you can't control what other drivers do, the next best thing is to keep a close watch on them.
If you see a trucker breaking the law, such as by texting, remove yourself from harm's way by slowing down.
In the event of a car-truck accident, there's a chance you'll suffer a serious injury. This is why it's important to immediately call 911. An ambulance can rush to the scene to transport you to a local hospital.
As you recover, file an insurance claim, learn more about the cause of the crash and focus on the steps you can take to hold the trucker responsible for their actions.