Successfully Helping Injured People in Montana for More Than 40 Years

What happens if I miss work due to a car accident?

by | Aug 16, 2018 | Car Accidents |

Being involved in a car accident is bad enough. Add in the fact that your injuries are causing you to miss work, and the stress is daunting. What do you do? How do you pay your bills? These are two very serious, important questions that you should ask your personal injury attorney. So, what happens if you miss work due to a car accident in Belgrade?

The first thing you need to do if a car accident has prevented you from working is document everything. You will need documentation from your doctor regarding your injuries, the treatment you are receiving and how long the injuries have already kept you out of work.

You will then need to request a letter from your employer that clearly states you have missed time at work due to your injuries from the accident. The employer should provide dates and times missed. If you are a contractor or self-employed, this becomes a little difficult. You might be required to provide portions of your tax returns.

The first step in collecting money for time lost at work is to turn to your own automotive insurance carrier. If the accident was not your fault, your carrier might compensate you for time missed at work. Contact them and find out the requirements and where to submit all of the above information.

Many people plan ahead for a rainy day. They do this by saving as much money as possible without sacrificing the payments on their current bills. Planning only takes you so far. When a wrench is thrown into your life via a Montana car accident, you need to take the appropriate steps to protect your rights.


RSS Feed